Been very busy, and partly due to lots of swimming, partly due to other stuff, but got to the pool every time as planned! Or, to be more precise: The 5am rise has proven ever so worth it. Even on the busiest of days, I can get a swim in of a morning. Fantastic! Ok, Friday was not so fantastic (see below).
But let me go in backwards chronological order of the last three days of swimming here. Since I am refusing to drop almost 60 Euros on a Garmin ANT+ Stick, I will continue to hand-type the basic information till either that stick turns up (it has to be somewhere in our place) or I will upgrade the whole watch. I have been looking at the Garmin Fenix 3 and the Suunto variety. There is a birthday coming up in a few months….
Today, Tuesday 3 March: 4650m at 1:40/100m on average, 34 Swolf
- 200m free warmup
- 1000m free in 15:50 – pushed myself for that a bit, and was disappointed it wasn’t faster
- 8x50m sprints at between 37 and 40 secs per 50m; took breathers of about 20secs in between. Man this hurt! Sprints are not my favourite. At all.
- 575m backstroke with pullbuoy
- 600m mixed drills (kicking, strokes, sideswimming…)
- 500m with paddles and pullbuoy at 8:03
- 250m no paddles but pullbuoy in 4:00 on the dot
- 1000m free at casual pace (though I felt it) in 17:04
- 125m (?) breast stroke with dolphin kick to wind down
Overall felt good but less enthusiastic.
Yesterday, Monday 2 March: 4775m at 1:40/100m on average, 35 Swolf
- 200m free warmup at 1:33/100m
- 1850m free at 1:43/100m in 31:48 overall [then I had to stop and adjust my goggles; the trusty green Zoggs Predator Reactor Flex broke on Friday, so at the moment I am swimming with my back-up tinted red Predator Flex; I have ordered replacements though]
- 2150m free at 1:44m/100m in 37:12 overall
- 400m mixed drills
- 175m breast stroke to cool down in 4:28 overall
Friday, Friday 27 February: 4175m at 1:40m/100m on average, 34 Swolf
- Sprint sets 7x100m at between 1:20/100m and 1:30/100m
- 2000m free at 1:39/100m in 32:54 all up – was pushing myself
- 300m mixed drills
- 450m backstroke with pullbuoy, at 1:57/100m
- 500m at 1:45/100m in 8:43 overall – casual but with grit
- 225m breast at 1:57m to cool down
So that looks like a good swim, right? And it was. Between sprints, another regular swimmer came, watched me sprint and before even getting in the water basically told me I splashed too much. “You use too much strength! Granted, you are fast, but you splash so much it is scary!” I thanked her and tried to explain that I was doing sprint sets, but I think she might have a point. Will try and use the next opportunity to improve my stroke technique. Less splashing, more dashing.
But then it happened. As I got out and jumped into the shower, I took off my goggles, my trusty Zoggs Predator Flex Reactors, and they broke, right on the bridge! Snap! Once dry and on the subway, I asked Zoggs via twitter which ones to get to replace them, and they promptly responded, and suggested to grab these silly-named beauties: The Predator Flex Titanium Reflex. They are brand new but already available; an updated version of the Reactors, 10 Euros cheaper even. So I ordered them with one or two other bits and bobs. Will post this stuff when it hopefully arrives later this week.